top of page
Big Raven Portugal Sustainability Practices
Every garment we make impacts our environment, and we take responsibility for doing everything we can to minimize, control and reduce those impacts. We work tirelessly to design and manufacture the highest quality products. We've built relationships to ensure we work with the best in their field. A transparent and responsible manufacturing process is important to the foundation of our brand.
How are we making our business conscious with the environment?
1. Learn about the process. Learn and ask questions. Now it will become more and more fashionable to label yourself as "eco-friendly".
Along the process we have asked to the providers always: how is it done? Where does it come from? Not everything recycled is sustainable.
2. We use materials that are left from over production. There is so much fabric that will eventually go to waste and therefore pollute landfills...
3. Organic/recycled options.
4. reduce paper to the minimum. No need to print catalogues and invoices and blah blah blah. Send an email!
5. Plastic free shipping ALWAYS!. Such an easy shift. All big & small companies should look onto it...
6. Support small family factories around us rather than big ones. Big ones usually already have plenty of work!.
7. We make small productions so we never end up with deadstock.
8. contribute to organizations that take care of the environment, wildlife, animal care, drinking water in remote areas. Anything really. Feels good to give back some love when things go well with your company.
9. Keep learning...
Big Raven as a brand has is main goal to don't produce new fabrics.
So on we just upcycled fabrics from dead stocks and use organic materials like cotton.
Purchasing our fabrics with companies that follow the regulations of Oeko-Tex Standard 100 and The Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) we can control and maintain the quality of our products and also the impact we have on nature.
Oeko-Tex Standard 100
All of our products exceed the Oeko-Tex Standard 100 certification. Oeko-Tex is a worldwide association of independent institutes for product safety and sustainable production in the textile industry. Products certified with Oeko-TEx do not contain any toxic or allergic substances and the fabrics has been tested and certified to be free from harmful levels of more than 100 substances known to be harmful to human health.
The Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)
The Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), is a non-profit organization that sets certain high standards to make sure that forestry is practiced in an environmentally responsible and socially beneficial manner.
It's also important for us Big Raven to purchase items that are certificated by FSC because we can help from a long distance people that live from the forest. FSC is the only wood certification scheme endorsed by the major environmental charities, including WWF, Greenpeace and The Woodland Trust that protects the rights of indigenous people to use the forest.
Big Raven does his best to avoid using plastic on all of processes from the main materials to the final product.
Proudly we use shipping bags from wastebased. (the compostable mailer is a home compostable, carbon negative alternative to traditional poly mailers. dispose of used bags in a compost bin with food scraps and garden waste and they’ll break down into rich garden compost in about 6 months!).
Also shipping card boxes are reutilized from our supliers or local shops around us.
bottom of page